Sunday, February 16, 2014

Gender Discrimination and Sexism (but not in the traditional sense)

I see many stigmas arise on social media when a father is shown with very young children as the main caregiver. Mostly from women (don't flame me for this it's just how I see it), comments on videos or pictures showing a SAHD (stay at home dad) in his daily routine. About 50% of the comments are negative. Okay maybe not that much, but it's a lot. The common theme of these is stating that a man isn't cut out for the task. Again, most of those comments are from women.  I think it's funny because I can guarantee that many of these women would be up in arms if men were to comment negatively on a visual of a woman doing a traditional male task/skill.

Whatever the case, many fathers are stepping up to the plate now and I am proud to be one of them. Some of us are more inept in the start than others but we learn fast... you have to because those babies learn even faster so we have to keep up. If you're a SAHD and have stumbled across this blog then I salute you along with everything you do on the a daily basis. You rock! When you see all these posts/blogs/images about how hard it is to be a mom and you want to scream out "hey!! what about us SAHD's?". Please just remain silent. We don't need to gloat like those women. We know what we do and don't need confirmation from social media. We don't need a holiday named after us or an appreciation day in our honor. We will remain unsung until our children grow up and give us a shout out on live television, after they just won the Superbowl. Or when they make an Olympic commercial showing all the SAHD working with their little athletes from day one. This will be our time to shine.

And yes I realize I am contradicting my point a little by creating this post. However, I don't see this ever going viral for the masses to see. I just want to give a head nod up to those dads and say "sup... good job man".


p.s. here is an example of what I'm talking about. Just view some of the negative comments about this video, which I think is awesome and cute
daddy hairstylist

No comments:

Post a Comment